The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Being able to successfully pursue something you are passionate about. I would say in particular having a career you enjoy, a daily routine that you are happy with, and great people to share experiences with whether that be friends, family, or a significant other.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Not being able to achieve the goals I desire most. Basically not being able to attain the definition of perfect happiness I explained in the first question.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
At times a lack of confidence.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Rudeness or arrogance.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Probably my father (would be my mother if she were still alive)
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Probably my PC or related peripherals. But I get a lot of use out of it!
7. What is your current state of mind?
Anxious but determined.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Not sure there is one.
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Being a bit overweight (which I am working on!).
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Off the top of my head no one specific comes to mind. But I would say anyone who’d be considered purely evil is someone I would likely despise.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
With that in mind, With that said, “like”, probably a few more too haha.
15. When and where were you happiest?
When working at almost any esport event I have been too. Particularly ELEAGUE.
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
Being a better broadcaster. A more natural ability for it.
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Having a better natural memory for all things rather than only specific things.
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I still feel like I haven’t hit that level yet. But I suppose if I had to pick it would either be getting my masters or the work I have done so far in esports (well most of it lol).
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
If I had to pick it would just come back as myself and do some things differently to see how things would have turned out.
20. What is your most treasured possession?
Artwork from my mother or my grandfather’s knife.
21. What makes you miserable?
22. What do you most value in your friends?
23. Who are your favorite writers?
Ian Kershaw, John Gaddis and many other historians. For fiction I enjoy George Orwell, Lois Lowry, Ray Bradbury, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Dan Brown, etc. Also I enjoy many esports writers such as Duncan Shields and Richard Lewis. There are many many others as well. Too many to name really.
24. Who is your fictional hero?
Can’t really think of a fictional character I look up to regularly.
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
No idea… I am really bad at this aren’t I.
26. Who are your real life heroes?
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
Not switching roles in esports sooner as well as a few missteps I took in my esports career.
29. What is your motto?
Not really a motto but a quote that has stuck with me was: “It doesn’t matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that’s like you after you take your hands away. The difference between the man who just cuts lawns and a real gardener is in the touching, he said. The lawn-cutter might just as well not have been there at all; the gardener will be there a lifetime.”
30. What was the first video game you played?
Super Mario Bros on NES.
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
With my degree, I likely would be a history professor, but that is not something I really desire to do right now, not sure if in the future that would change.
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
Never really heard anyone overrate a skill. All the skills that are usually valued are also ones I value.
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
The desire to work hard.
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
Respect/giving their all.
35. What is your favorite film?
There are so many films I love but if I have to pick one I will take Inglourious Basterds
36. What is your favorite show/series?
Probably a tie between Deathnote and House of Cards.