The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
The absence of worries.
2. What is your greatest fear?
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
The difficulty I have getting up early in the morning. I wish I was a morning person.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Lack of hygiene. It may be a bit superficial, but it’s something so simple that shows a lack of general awareness and inconsiderate tendencies.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Not one person in particular, but any singer-songwriter musician that stays true to their music. An example would be Jason Mraz. They do what they love for a living, and music is something I gave up in the past.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
Coffee. I don’t hold back on spending money on quality coffee or coffee making equipment.
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
When lives are at stake.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I have a lot of scars on my body from being reckless as a child.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
George. A select few people will know who this man is.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
If he enjoys watching Archer, he and I will probably get along.
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
If she enjoys watching Archer, she and I will probably get along.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“Makes no god damned sense”
15. When and where were you happiest?
In high school, back in Manila, Philippines.
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
It would be great if I didn’t have to shave every day.
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Probably my flawless performance of Carnival of Venice on the clarinet during my senior year in high school.
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
20. What is your most treasured possession?
My collection of keychains from every unique city that I’ve traveled to. I have 74 keychains in that collection.
21. What makes you miserable?
An unorganized living space.
22. What do you most value in your friends?
23. Who are your favorite writers?
Robert Frost, Voltaire, Paulo Coelho.
24. Who is your fictional hero?
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
26. Who are your real life heroes?
Richard Feynman, Yousuf Karsh, Elon Musk.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
I wounded my younger sister by accident when we were children. She was completely fine a few days later, but nothing makes me cringe more than the memory of seeing my sister bleed because I was careless.
29. What is your motto?
In life, shit happens. Learn to deal with it.
30. What was the first video game you played?
Super Mario Brothers on a monochrome Game Boy.
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Most likely pursuing a Ph. D in chemistry.
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
They don’t get in my way when I walk my team on or off stage. I’m a simple man.
35. What is your favorite film?
36. What is your favorite show/series?
Archer and Game of Thrones.
Cover photo courtesy of Riot Games/illustration by Slingshot