The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
Previous editions: Alberto “Crumbz” Rengifo, Jakob “YamatoCannon” Mebdi, Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Marty Strenczewilk, Janko “YNK” Paunović, Dustin Mouret, Steve “Ryu” Rattacasa, Lee “Robin” Seung-Hwan.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
The ability for me to do whatever I want whenever I want, without having to worry about money or pressure from anyone about what I should be doing with my time instead.
2. What is your greatest fear?
That I will fail.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
I care too much about what other people think of me.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Being kind. Far too often people are kind when they should be blunt, honest, and/or critical.
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
When the benefits of lying outweigh the consequences. JK. Or am I?
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
My double chin
11. Which living person do you most despise?
I don’t despise anyone. That level of negative energy serves no purpose. If you dislike someone, cut them out of your life and don’t spare them another though.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
15. When and where were you happiest?
The moment right after she said yes
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
World class singer
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I’d want the ability to turn my brain off so I could just be sometimes
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Taking the plunge into esports and landing on my feet
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A well-loved house cat
20. What is your most treasured possession?
I honestly don’t have one
21. What makes you miserable?
When someone is disappointed in me and has good reason to be
22. What do you most value in your friends?
Intelligence, reflective, and multi-faceted
23. Who are your favorite writers?
Brandon Sanderson and Brent Weeks
24. Who is your fictional hero?
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
None come to mind
26. Who are your real life heroes?
I don’t know that I’d call him a hero, but Adam Silver has a job that I one day hope to have and is amazing at it. I admire him and hope to emulate his example someday.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
Dwelling on the negative instead of letting it go to allow the positive to dominate your life
28. What is your greatest regret?
A few things I’ve said at various points in my life
29. What is your motto?
Stay positive, outwork everyone, and constantly look for ways to improve yourself and the world around you
30. What was the first video game you played?
Not sure; probably the original Mario
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Working at a legal non-profit either in the criminal justice or environmental sector
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
Willingness to communicate and learn
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
Being humble in victory and gracious in defeat
35. What is your favorite film?
36. What is your favorite show/series?