The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
Previous editions: Alberto “Crumbz” Rengifo, Jakob “YamatoCannon” Mebdi, Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Marty Strenczewilk, Janko “YNK” Paunović, Dustin Mouret, Steve “Ryu” Rattacasa, Lee “Robin” Seung-Hwan, Bryce Blum, Tanner Damonte.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
- Having a LAN in a chalet on a mountain with friends, eating some tasty non-healthy and well prepared food. With
a doglots of dogs to play with. And one kitty.
- Driving across the world in a van full of friends so you can stop whenever you want and start a bonfire to grill some marshmallows, watching stars at night and enjoying the weather during the day. With music. Lot of music.
- Living in a giant castle in the middle of Scotland, big enough to welcome a lot of people and with a rock solid internet connection.
- Bathing naked in a swimming pool made of Zac body (pink chroma skin ofc, I’ve to stay corporate)
- Sailing a turtle boat all across Polynesia pulled by dolphins
- Making people happy because of me. It sounds cheesy and selfish but at the same time, it’s still the goddamn truth.
2. What is your greatest fear?
I can’t even watch them on picture nor on screen. If I watch a movie and one pops up, even in a totally not scary context (like a little girl getting an injection from a cute nurse in a child movie), I’ll jump and cover my eyes. It makes Hylissang laugh a lot.
As Hébus (a fearsome troll from the comic “Trolls de Troys”) would say: “I would prefer to have my arm cut open so you can directly access the blood rather than having this tiny thing under my skin.” Sadly, humans can not regenerate as well as Trolls, so this is not an available option for me.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
I can’t tell you. My Dad will most probably read this interview and he has been trying his whole life to teach me how to achieve happiness by focusing on my strengths rather than on my weaknesses. So I will now make him proud and say I don’t dislike any trait of my personality, as even my vices are parts of an intricate me.
On top of that, no one wants to know I’ve addiction problems and a disturbing appeal for picking my nose with chopsticks.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Racism. Narrow-mindedness. Injustice. Abusing power. All worrying trends in politics at the moment.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
My dad and Gandalf. Don’t even dare telling me the second one is not a living person.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
It’s funny because in French “extravagance” means “eccentricity,” while in english it’s “excessive spending.” So my initial answer would be “my stage outfit” but the correct answer (after I properly understood the question) is “candies.” I love candies from the bottom of my belly and I can spend an unreasonable amount of cash in the blink of an eye. Actually, anything with sugar. I know it’s bad and blablablabla but wait oh my god is it a bag of Haribo I see behind you?
7. What is your current state of mind?
Stressed. On Sunday we are playing our semifinal against Misfits (Editor’s note: this was completed last week), and there is a lot at stake.
This is the beauty and doom of any kind of highly competitive job: you wake up in the morning on game day, not knowing if by the time you go to bed again, you will be ecstatic or devastated.
And it will be 100 percent one of those two emotions, no middle ground allowed.
It’s a rollercoaster of emotions, and it never gets boring.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
All virtues are overrated if you extremely push them. Like cleanliness. Because reasons.
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
To cover a murder, or when someone asks how many partners you had in your life, or when your best friend wife’s is calling you to know if he slept at your place.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I would like to be tall with heterochromian eyes (blue/black) and long non-curly hair.
And please make my farts smell like flowers.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
The guy who coded the predictive text of my phone; this shit is always switching words.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Humor – life is too short not to smile
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Same answer as for man.
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
At the moment, the word “wunderbar.” It means “wonderful” in German.
You can use and abuse it everywhere. It usually makes people smile. Or maybe they are just laughing at me because I don’t understand German. Either way: it saved me a couple of times.
15. When and where were you happiest?
Right here, right now. And wait for it, tomorrow shall be even better!
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would love to be able to speak/read/write Italian, Spanish, German, Chinese, Portuguese, Arabic, Russian…. But I’m French. We are genetically disabled when it comes to languages.
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
The amount of money in my bank account.
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I survived the first 28 years of my life. It was not guaranteed.
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
20. What is your most treasured possession?
My life! Everything else you can buy online.
21. What makes you miserable?
Lie down, Try not to cry, Cry a lot
22. What do you most value in your friends?
I can trust them with my life, and I do. I don’t need to keep a daily contact. If I ever need help, I pick up the phone and they will be there. That’s friendship.
23. Who are your favorite writers?
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien and François Marcela-Froideval
24. Who is your fictional hero?
Olórin, Mithrandir, Incánus, Tharkûn… all the same
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
(French Renaissance writer, physician, Renaissance humanist, monk and Greek scholar. He has historically been regarded as a writer of fantasy, satire, the grotesque, bawdy jokes and songs. His best known work is Gargantua and Pantagruel.)
26. What is it that you most dislike?
Chicory and ham with béchamel.
27. What is your greatest regret?
I never learned to code, so I will never be a hacker.
28. What is your motto?
“Try not. Do, or do not – there is no try” – Yoda
“Knowing is different than understanding”
“We never said it was gonna be easy, we said it was gonna be beautiful”
29. What was the first video game you played?
Age of Empires 1
30. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Something I like! Probably involving traveling, smiling and telling stories to people.
31. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
The ability to challenge yourself by accepting your answer my not be the best one.
“When you see a good move, look for a better one” – Emanuel Lasker, 27 times Chess World Champion
32. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
33. What is your favorite film?
The Lord of The Rings.
34. What is your favorite show/series?
Games of Thrones, Spartacus, Suits, Mr Robot, Vikings…I also have a secret love for the first 116 episodes of Pokemon, with the original 151 Pokemon
Cover photo courtesy of Riot Games/illustration by Slingshot