The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
Previous editions: Alberto “Crumbz” Rengifo, Jakob “YamatoCannon” Mebdi, Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Marty Strenczewilk, Janko “YNK” Paunović, Dustin Mouret, Steve “Ryu” Rattacasa, Lee “Robin” Seung-Hwan, Bryce Blum, Tanner Damonte, Romain Bigeard.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
I don’t think perfect happiness exists. You can always improve and get better at something in your life. Perfect happiness implies you have no growing left to do.
2. What is your greatest fear?
My greatest fear is wasting my potential.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
I dislike how content I feel with all that I’ve accomplished thus far.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Nothing gets my blood boiling like someone who’s arrogant AND dishonest.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
Barack Obama. I don’t believe he was the greatest president we ever had, but as the first African-American President he dealt with a lot of hate and handled it with class.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
My Soldier:76 statue that I got when I purchased Overwatch Collector’s Edition. I seldom buy material things I don’t actually need.
7. What is your current state of mind?
Currently, I feel ungrounded and really want to hit the gym. Working out consistently gives me mental clarity.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Politeness. People need thicker skins nowadays.
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
The only time I believe lying is OK is when your significant other asks you if they look fat. Even then you should dodge the question and just bring up exercise or something.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
That I can’t grow enough facial hair to connect my goatee to my mustache. That’s the dream.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Kim Jong Un. **** that guy
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I use expletives way too often
15. When and where were you happiest?
College was the happiest time of my life thus far. I didn’t know I loved nature until then.
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
My disdain for social media
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Being the first in my family to attend and graduate college. Getting top 8 at EVO 2013 with Doctor Mario gets an honorable mention.
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I’d love to be reborn and grow up in a European country. France (specifically Paris) or Italy, preferably.
20. What is your most treasured possession?
My desire for adventure. I strive to experience as much as I can in life.
21. What makes you miserable?
22. What do you most value in your friends?
23. Who are your favorite writers?
The Alchemist is my current favorite book, so I’d have to say Paulo Coelho.
24. Who is your fictional hero?
Goku. He remains positive in every situation and always strives to improve.
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
I’ve never thought about this before so I can’t really say. I’m a huge admirer of Malcolm X even though I don’t believe I’m much like him, lol.
26. Who are your real life heroes?
My real life heroes are my mom, Bernie Sanders, and Will Smith.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
When people follow paths laid out for them instead of making their own.
28. What is your greatest regret?
Waiting until the age of 20 to truly be myself.
29. What is your motto?
“Just do it” by Nike.
30. What was the first video game you played?
Streets of Rage on the Sega Genesis. I still listen to the soundtrack sometimes.
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Backpacking through Europe/Asia.
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
For Melee, I’d have to say recovery. You should be striving not to get knocked off-stage in the first place.
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
Awareness. Nothing is worse than having a teammate who is only aware of themselves.
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
I enjoy when my opponent has presence. I’m like a diamond, I require a lot of pressure to truly shine.
35. What is your favorite film?
Rush Hour 2. The dialogue is AMAZING.
36. What is your favorite show/series?
Currently, I’d have to say Black Mirror. It’s very thought provoking and if you haven’t seen it you should check it out after this interview.
Cover photo courtesy of Immortals