The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
Previous editions: Alberto “Crumbz” Rengifo, Jakob “YamatoCannon” Mebdi, Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner, Marty Strenczewilk, Janko “YNK” Paunović, Dustin Mouret, Steve “Ryu” Rattacasa, Lee “Robin” Seung-Hwan, Bryce Blum, Tanner Damonte, Romain Bigeard, DaJuan “Shroomed” McDaniel.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A large pepperoni pizza and no one to judge me.
2. What is your greatest fear?
Leaving New York for Los Angeles, which I’m doing next month.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
Tweeting before taking a breath when one of my clients gets taken advantage of, yet again, by someone in esports.
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
The selfishness of “now” and “me, me, me” that runs this industry. If we all took a step back to figure out things from broadcasting rights between orgs and publishers, to sponsorship rev sharing between teams and players, we’d all be a lot happier. And esports would be a lot more successful.
5. Which living person do you most admire?
My grandmother is 83 and just basically backpacked through India and Africa. I hope to be half as badass as her when I’m half her age.
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
I drink well whiskey, eat Taco Bell, and drive a Kia. But my dog stays at a doggy spa that’s $100 a night when I travel. Does that count?
7. What is your current state of mind?
Listening to Spotify’s Discover Weekly playlist and answering questions I should have thought more about.
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Idealism. While I dabble in it, you’ll never get there without waking up and realizing what’s broken with reality.
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
You’re asking a lawyer. Nothing I say is true. Ask me these same questions tomorrow and you’ll get entirely different answers.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
About twenty pounds of it. Getting into shape for LA though, don’t worry.
11. Which living person do you most despise?
Trump and the owner of a European esports org that I can’t name because of an NDA. But it’s the only org I’d never let one of my players sign with.
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
Work ethic and earning what they have
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
Work ethic and earning what they have
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I literally can’t answer this. Literally.
15. When and where were you happiest?
I had a pretty good sandwich earlier while watching Shameless. That was nice.
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
Ability to sing while playing a guitar. Watch out, ladies.
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would have never started smoking.
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Not being in jail right now. Everything in my life set me up for an outcome a lot closer to that than owning a law firm and a talent agency.
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
A naked mole rat. They get it.
20. What is your most treasured possession?
It’s disgusting, but I think it’s my phone.
21. What makes you miserable?
22. What do you most value in your friends?
I started my law firm while living on my friend’s couch and not paying rent. My other best friend has been a lynchpin of support throughout years of struggle while building this. Couldn’t ask for a better couple guys.
23. Who are your favorite writers?
I read a cease and desist by Michael Lee the other day that was pretty nice.
24. Who is your fictional hero?
I have Deadpool tattooed on my arm, but it’s from 12 years ago. You didn’t know who he was then. No one did. And after years of saying, “Yea, it’s Spider-Man…” now it’s like having a damn Superman tattoo…
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
The version of Gandhi that nukes the world in a game of civilization
26. Who are your real life heroes?
Pro bono criminal defense attorneys who actually try. There are no more amazing people on the planet.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
How many non-joking emails I get asking if their fan game is okay.
28. What is your greatest regret?
Honestly? Nothing. Live life, baby.
29. What is your motto?
I guess now it’s “Live life, baby.” But normally it’s “If you have a plan, you’re planning to fail.”
30. What was the first video game you played?
Frederik Pohl’s Gateway. It remains the greatest piece of gaming ever.
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Probably making money instead of not making money.
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
To not answer your question, I think the most underrated skill is remaining calm and being a good teammate. I’m a rager. A bad rager. I can’t not be, and I envy those who can just enjoy competitive mode without acting like their lives are on the line.
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
A good healer
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
A bad healer
35. What is your favorite film?
36. What is your favorite show/series?
Hell’s Kitchen or anything with my boy, Ramsay.