The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
For our first edition, here is Jakob “YamatoCannon” Mebdi, League of Legends coach for Splyce.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
The understanding of the concept that I am in control of my life, and also being content with the things that are not in my control
2. What is your greatest fear?
Not being able to protect and be there for loved ones.
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
My inability to see my own flaws
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
The trait that makes people blame others for their problems
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
7. What is your current state of mind?
I feel great but I miss my girlfriend
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Academic degrees and university diplomas
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
Only within business when the outcome is good for all included parties both short term and long term and not in personal life (unless it is to your parents)
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
Those 5 pounds I added during the holidays
11. Which living person do you most despise?
12. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
I will delete them off the map
13. When and where were you happiest?
Now. I view happiness as something that progresses. We have to learn how to be happier.
14. Which talent would you most like to have?
I would settle for pretty much anything
15. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would not be myself then
16. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Secretly controlling the entire world
17. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
18. What is your most treasured possession?
19. What makes you miserable?
20. What do you most value in your friends?
21. Who are your favorite writers?
Machiavelli, Sun Tsu
22. Who is your fictional hero?
23. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
24. Who are your real life heroes?
My parents, they fed me when I could not feed myself, so they pretty much saved my life multiple times
25. What is it that you most dislike?
26. What is your greatest regret?
Not spending more time with my grandpa
27. What is your motto?
Results are a byproduct of a process. Focus on improving the process.
28. What was the first video game you played?
29. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
30. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
Having one shot-caller
31. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
A good work ethic
32. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
When they are good losers
33. What is your favorite film?
Most Christopher Nolan movies
34. What is your favorite show/series?
Cover photo courtesy of Riot Games/illustration by Slingshot