The Proust Questionnaire is an interview about somebody’s personality, made famous by French writer Marcel Proust. Vanity Fair does its own version of the questionnaire for celebrities, and we decided it would be fun to do the same with notable esports professionals.
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Living an enjoyable life of meaningful impact and sharing that life with as many people as possible
2. What is your greatest fear?
Settling for a life less than I should
3. What is the trait you most dislike in yourself?
4. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Lack of self-awareness
5. Which living person do you most admire?
6. What is your greatest extravagance?
I’m not much of a “stuff” person… I’d have to say food. I don’t mind spending extravagantly on great food. And gaming mice.
7. What is your current state of mind?
Productive, full of ideas, busy yet happily distracted
8. What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
None of the common virtues are overrated
9. When do you think it’s OK to lie?
I guess about the small meaningless stuff, but telling lies becomes habitual and should be avoided as often as possible. Start developing the ability to tell uncomfortable truths instead.
10. What do you most dislike about your appearance?
I’m pretty comfortable with my appearance, though a little more hair wouldn’t hurt 🙂
11. Which living person do you most despise?
I don’t really despise anyone. Maybe vEz? LOL
12. What is the quality you most like in a man?
When they’re me and sign their posts “-Ryu”
13. What is the quality you most like in a woman?
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
15. When and where were you happiest?
Lucas Oil Stadium, February 5, 2012
16. Which talent would you most like to have?
I’d love to be able to play the guitar
17. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Not a damn thing. I’m not perfect and don’t want to be
18. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
This will sound very much so “not a great accomplishment”, but it has huge personal meaning to me. I was able to build something that allowed one of my players to have the money to buy his Grandfather a beer for the first time.
19. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
I don’t have a serious answer to this, so I’m going to say a dinosaur
20. What is your most treasured possession?
My Grandfather’s ring
21. What makes you miserable?
22. What do you most value in your friends?
23. Who are your favorite writers?
I don’t have any in particular as most of my time reading is in non-fiction and bounces from author to author
24. Who is your fictional hero?
I’m a Superman fan
25. Which historical figure do you most identify with?
None. I’m blazing my own trail
26. Who are your real life heroes?
My Grandfather and my Dad for being responsible for the man I am today. Elon Musk for being a leader with a vision who has been able to execute on his ideas.
27. What is it that you most dislike?
28. What is your greatest regret?
I don’t know that I have one– every decision I’ve made has led me to where I am now, and I’m good with that.
29. What is your motto?
“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you”
30. What was the first video game you played?
Guessing it was Super Mario on the NES
31. What would you be doing if you weren’t in esports?
Probably running a technology consulting business
32. What do you consider the most overrated skill in-game?
This is going to sound silly, but good aim. Aim isn’t hard to practice, but so many “great aimers” are average players overall.
33. What is the quality you most like in a teammate?
34. What is the quality you most like in an opponent?
35. What is your favorite film?
Don’t have just one… Everything from classics like Shawshank and The Godfather, to Liar Liar, Wedding Crashers, to Star Wars, Marvel/DC movies, and District 9
36. What is your favorite show/series?